Synthetic Hair Guide: What You Need to Know
It is precisely what its name implies—synthetic hair.
Synthetic hair strands are made from polymer-based artificial fibers such as silk, nylon, and acrylic. It is designed to resemble human hair in both appearance and texture.
If you have synthetic hair or considering opting for one, here's a guide to help you understand and care for your synthetic hair.
What You Should Lookout For When Buying Synthetic Hair
Here are some key aspects to look out for when choosing synthetic hair, to ensure that you get a high-quality product.
1. Fiber Type: If you plan to use styling tools, look for heat-resistant synthetic fibers like Kanekalon; This is a popular type of synthetic fiber known for its durability and heat resistance. Futura is also another wonderful option that is heat-resistant synthetic hair and can be styled with hot tools.
2. Construction: If you're purchasing a synthetic braided wig, pay attention to the cap construction. The construction of a synthetic hair wig involves the arrangement and attachment of the synthetic hair fibers to a cap. Wigs can have caps made of various materials, such as lace, and monofilament. How the hair is attached to the cap influences ventilation. Proper ventilation ensures comfort during wear. The cap should be breathable to ensure comfort.
3. Texture: When choosing synthetic hair, consider the look you want to achieve, and how well the texture complements your facial features. Choose a synthetic hair that mimics the texture and style you desire. Some synthetic hair can have a glossy or overly shiny appearance, so consider your preference for a more natural look.
4. Durability: While synthetic hair braided wigs may not last as long as human hair braided wigs, buy from a trusted brand and choose a product known for its durability and resistance to tangling. Also, proper care and maintenance which we will be looking at next, can significantly extend its lifespan. Understanding the limitations and taking preventive measures can also help you get the most out of your synthetic hair.
5. Style: Check if the synthetic hair allows for the use of styling accessories and products. Remember that synthetic hair has limitations compared to human hair, so it's essential to follow the care and styling instructions provided by the manufacturer.
By carefully evaluating each of these factors, you can make an informed choice when purchasing synthetic hair, ensuring that it not only looks superb but also meets your quality and durability requirements.
Maintaining Your Synthetic Hair
Synthetic hair demands a different technique from human hair as synthetic strands are more sensitive to heat and certain treatments. Here are some guidelines to keep synthetic hair looking its best:
1. Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Do not use regular hair care products on your synthetic braid wig, as they may contain chemicals that can damage the fibers. Avoid exposure to chlorine, saltwater, and strong chemicals.
2. Washing: Take a moderate, sulfate-free shampoo made specifically for synthetic hair and soak the hair in cool water in the sink for 5-10 minutes. Finger comb the hair from the roots to the ends to ensure it's clean. Next, slowly move the wig up and down in the water. Scrub lightly and use cool water to give everything a thorough rinse.
3. Conditioning (optional): If your synthetic hair feels dry or you want to enhance its softness, you can use a synthetic hair conditioner. Place your synthetic hair in a basin of cool water with 1-2 capfuls of conditioner added, and let it soak for about 5-10 minutes. Run a gentle hand over the fibers with the water and conditioner. Give the wig a quick rinse with cool water, and pat dry with a fresh towel. Use a wig stand to dry.
4. Drying: After washing and conditioning (optional) the hair, the next step is to dry. Allow the synthetic hair to air dry naturally. Do not use a hairdryer, unless you have confirmed that the product is hairdryer friendly as the heat can damage the fibers. If the hairpiece needs styling, do so only after they are completely dried.
5. Brushing: Use a wide-tooth comb or a brush with soft bristles designed for synthetic hair. Begin by detangling the ends and working your way up to the roots. Be gentle to avoid damaging the fibers.
6. Styling: Heated items like curling irons, straighteners, and hot rollers can damage synthetic hair. However, some synthetic wigs are heat-resistant, so be cautious to identify the kind of synthetic hair you have. If the synthetic hair is heat-friendly, use only tools specifically designed for synthetic hair that operate at lower temperatures for styling.
7. Storage: Your synthetic braid wig should be kept in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight when not in use. To keep the hairpiece in shape, store it in a ventilated bag or on a wig stand.
Your FAQs on Synthetic Hair Answered
Can I dye a synthetic hair braided wig?
Synthetic hair is less flexible than human hair. Attempting to color a braided synthetic hair may result in damage or an undesirable outcome. Check the difference between human hair and synthetic hair braided wigs for more clarification.
Can I use heat styling tools on braided synthetic hair?
It's not recommended to use heat styling tools on synthetic braided wigs. The heat can damage the synthetic fibers. However, some synthetic wigs are heat-resistant, so be sure to know the type you have and consider using tools specifically designed for synthetic hair.
Can I change the style of a synthetic hair braid wig?
It's best to choose a style you like initially. While some customization may be possible, it's essential to be cautious, as excessive manipulation can damage the synthetic fibers.
Can I sleep with my synthetic braided wig?
It's advisable to protect your braided synthetic hair when sleeping by using a satin pillowcase or a silk or satin scarf. This reduces friction, and frizz, and helps to maintain the braided style's quality.
Where can I buy high-quality synthetic hair braided wigs?
Express Wig Braids offers a wide range of high-quality braided wigs, including human hair braided wigs and synthetic hair braided wigs.